10.1.08

New Gig


New year, more change in the air. First Anteon in 04, then the subsequent buy out by General Dynamics IT until...

I recently moved to Allied Technologies, the company that took over my contract. The government always looks towards lower bidders and lower bidders look to hire all the employees on that contract.

I did this to maintain a paycheck but also to stay with the program and site that I had built up since June 2004. I had built this site from being phone less, computer less, vehicle less, no office, no tools etc... to now having twice the sites (about 20 and up to 15 boats), 3 vehicles, office in Doral and 3 other techs. I saw several hurricanes and tropical storms destroy the sites and rebuilt from the ground up. I was able to work with DHS, USCG, Miami Police, Miami Dade Police, Customs, Fish and Wildlife. National Park rangers and many more. I worked at events like Organization of American States helping secure the inner Port.

So now the time came to change and an opportunity came my way to go back to General Dynamics only this time to a different division working a different contract. This time I will not be working to secure the South Florida Ports, instead I will be working to keep the National Distress System up and running, now aptly called Rescue 21. This is the system that is always listening for that scary "mayday" and has Coast Guard personnel listening 24/7/365.

So this comes with some change, I will leave the office to work from home, responding by myself to all calls in S FL from East Central Coast down to South FL not including Keys. I think this will be nice to learn a new system, a new set of problems, and new opportunities. I don't know how long this will last, there are always hopeful reassurances about longevity of a contract but in reality, 3 years, 3 companies taught me there is no rule, rhyme or reason. It can all end tomorrow.

So that's all for today, I start the 28th...CYA Hawkeye...

I loved this quote:
Ours is a sick profession. [A profession marked by] incompetence, lack of training, misconduct, and bad manners. Ineptness, bungling, malpractice, and bad ethics can be observed in court houses all over this country every day.
- Chief Justice Warren Burger

No comments: